My husband and I conceived for the first time after trying a little over a year. At 37 weeks, after 20 hours of labor and then pushing for 3 hours with no progress, I was told by my OB that my tail bone is too close to my pelvis and that a c-section was our only option.
So the second long-awaited pregnancy, 4 years later (also 4 months after I accepted the gift of salvation and we later agreed to let God plan our family), was a planned c-section. But at 34 weeks during a checkup I learned that I was 6 cm dilated. No other symptoms but my OB was very rushed and said we needed to do a c-section immediately because “you can’t labor on your previous c-section scar for fear it will rupture.” Forty-five minutes later son #2 was born and although he spent 10 days in the NICU you would never know it now.
When he was 6 months old, we found out we were expecting again. BIG, but very happy surprise! I was categorized as high-risk due to the previous preterm labor so they kept a close eye on me with cervical ultrasound checks every 2 weeks after week 20 and of course, another planned c-section. At 30 weeks, I was having contractions and they were successfully stopped during a 4 day hospital stay. After this I was put on bed rest.
During the hospital stay and after much discussion, my husband and I decided that it would be best to prevent any further pregnancies as the risk to me and another baby was too big. The kids we have need a mommy more than they need another sibling. So I (hesitantly) signed papers to have a tubal ligation during the c-section, whenever it should occur. We prayed and prayed that if a tubal ligation was not meant for us that God would not let it happen.
At 35 weeks, which was the earliest they said they’d be ok with me going into labor, I started with contractions again early in the morning. They checked me and I was 5 cm but the contractions started to taper off and quit. Then I was sent home, by the same OB that needed to immediately do a c-section at 34 weeks and 6 cm. Talk about feeling confused! A few hours later, contractions started back up, lots stronger and very regular.
By the time we got to the hospital, they were less than 5 minutes apart. The nurses were nonchalant about me being there again, despite what I was telling them I was feeling. Twenty minutes later, while they were prepping me for the c-section and I announced “I have to push! This baby wants to come out NOW!” The nurses all looked surprised to say the least and one rushed out to get the doctor. The hospital I was at doesn’t do VBACs.
And so pushing ensued. Again, no progress was being made after an hour and a half of pushing and the doctor gave me the option of suction on the baby’s head or a c-section. I chose the suction. The first attempt failed to the point of while the doctor was pulling on the suction tool while I was pushing, the suction came off and she hit herself in the face with it! So she said she’d try one more time before doing the c-section. While pushing I said out loud “Please, God, help me” and then our baby girl finally started to come out. She was perfect and healthy and had no breathing problems like our second son did. I tore inside and out and laid there for 30 minutes afterward getting stitched up. My husband and I strongly believe that God made it very clear that we were not to have the tubal ligation! Thanks to God for His wisdom and mercy!
Do you have an amazing birth, pregnancy, or adoption story to share? A story where the hand of God was mightily on you and your baby? I am looking to begin featuring these types of stories on this website on a regular basis! If you have a story, please email me at email@example.com.