Hope During Early Pregnancy Loss

caabempty-bird-nest

This past Saturday evening through early Sunday morning I experienced a miscarriage.  This pregnancy was definitely off my radar since I am still breastfeeding my youngest child.  Only my husband knew about the pregnancy until the miscarriage took place because I felt like something wasn’t quite right.  I never experienced pregnancy symptoms.  I hadn’t yet visited a doctor.

I knew the miscarriage was imminent once I began spotting about two weeks ago.  I know that all spotting doesn’t necessarily mean a miscarriage is a sure thing (with my youngest daughter I experienced a sub chorionic hemorrhage, which can cause bleeding), but with this pregnancy, I just somehow knew.  Throughout this time I was able to prepare myself emotionally for what was to come.

During this process I prayed a lot.  Some tears fell.  I briefly questioned God and then asked Him to forgive me.  God is God, and who am I to question Him?  He is my hope.  I know that He works all together for my good, and He loved this little one more than I ever could.

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner  self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is  preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are  eternal.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18

A few other things I’ve learned…

• Every pregnancy loss is different.  I had experienced a miscarriage at 5 weeks once before, and this one was totally different.  I believe I was 8-10 weeks along.  I was unprepared for the pain and other symptoms I experienced.
  • Do not be afraid to ask for help if you need it.  You will need to rest for several days.  If someone offers to help, graciously accept it.
  • We shouldn’t be afraid to discuss pregnancy loss.  It is something that happens to many women and sharing our stories can help us heal.
  • Although it may be difficult to hear and read about the joys of other’s pregnancies, we shouldn’t let our pain take away from their joy.  It has been difficult for me on facebook the last few weeks since several friends and bloggers are currently expecting.  None the less, I should rest in God’s goodness and share their happiness.
  • The Lord is always teaching me.  A lot of times He teaches through pain and loss.  I need to continue to read His Word through heartache, and be open to change and sanctification.
  • God’s grace truly is sufficient.   At a point during this loss I wasn’t doing so well.  I was trying to tough it out, since I didn’t want to wake my family to trek to the emergency room in the middle of the night!  I finally decided to wake my husband, and as soon as I did, the worst was over.  We stayed awake for a few more hours just to be sure.  I am so thankful for God’s grace and mercy.

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2 Corinthians 12:9

Some Other Resources During Early Pregnancy Loss

While searching www.etsy.com I discovered beautiful miscarriage necklaces.  These are a few that I liked best.

caabnecklace1

caabnecklace2 caabnecklace3 These necklaces are simply beautiful.  I might purchase one in remembrance of my now two little ones that I have lost.

Through all things, my hope remains in my Lord.  He is so faithful.  I thank Him for upholding me, and for the little ones on this earth that He has graciously given me to love on.

NICOLE CRONE enjoys writing encouragement for moms in which God is glorified at her blog, Children are a Blessing. She is wife to Rusty, and mom to eight sweet children. Nicole has been a homeschool mom for thirteen years, and is currently a member of The Old Schoolhouse Review Crew. When Nicole isn’t homeschooling, you can find her writing, reading, sewing, or blogging at www.childrenareablessing.org. She is active on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

About Nicole

35 Thoughts on “Hope During Early Pregnancy Loss

1. My heart and prayers go out to you! My second baby was stillborn, afterwards it was a struggle not to be angry with God and everyone. We have been blessed with two more little girls since then. My youngest is six months old and looks just like her, down to a full head of hair! Sometimes I feel guilty because I don’t think about her all that much, it seems, until I hear of anothers’ loss. There will always be an ache in my arms and in my heart but I am grateful for the grace which has been a hedge around our family and I am grateful I was able to kiss her face when I had to let her go. God bless you and your husband and your children. May His lovingkindness surround you, and may His grace cover you.

• Nicole on August 27, 2013 at 3:14 pm said:

Thank you for the kind words Courtney! My heart goes out to you as well, I couldn’t even imagine.

• Thank you. Shortly after it happened, a good friend of mine had an employer she was close to lose a ten year old son after a battle with leukemia. It put things in perspective for me!

2. Nicole, I am so sorry to hear of your loss! There really are no words that I can speak to bring true comfort, only God can bring that. I know the pain is real and hurt is there and my prayers are with you during this time of grief. I know God is there, holding your hand……know that I care and I’m praying for you and your family! My deepest sympathy to you!

3. I am so sorry for your loss! I grieve every time I hear of a mother going through a miscarriage.

On a side note, thank you for sharing links to those miscarriage necklaces. I was on etsy just this morning trying to find a necklace to remember the baby I lost (Dec, 2011). Those necklaces you linked to are beautiful.

• Nicole on August 27, 2013 at 3:24 pm said:

Thank you Melinda! I’m sorry for your loss as well.

• Rebecca on August 28, 2013 at 10:44 pm said:

Check out themidnightorange on etsy, she makes “grief and loss” figurines. She went out of her way to make a custom order and get it to me by a certain date.

4. Christy on August 27, 2013 at 3:43 pm said:

Nicole I am so sorry to hear that. Earlier this year I was expecting, and we lost our baby at 10 weeks. I’m sorry that you had to go through that but I’m glad you are so encouraging to others. We can use our trials to help other people makes it a little less painful. Blessings to you and your family!

5. So sorry to hear of your loss. I understand the pain as I have lost3 babies in the last year. Two at 5 weeks and one at 13 weeks. It’s a misunderstood grief that lasts forever. Although I grieve, I rejoice in the blessings we have and the one I’m currently carrying.

6. Dear Nicole

My heart goes out to you and to your family. I’m so sorry for your loss; however, the Lord will guide you through all aspects in life. Make sure you never lose faith, and keep praying for the Lord will bless you with His kindness.

Lotsa’ love!

Lilla

7. I’m so sorry to hear of your loss! I too have lost a little one – at eight and a half weeks. Thank you for writing such a great blog post to bring attention to this issue. I will pray for comfort for your heart.

Love,
    Diana

8. I’m really sorry that you have gone through this for a second time. I have been through two miscarriages and I totally understand the “knowing” something is wrong. I felt it in my heart, and I know God was preparing me. So even though I felt afraid at times when I was pregnant with my now six-month-old son, in my spirit I felt peace and God helped me trust Him. I pray that He would heal your body quickly and your heart would be handled gently in His love and grace. Blessings.

9. Christi on August 28, 2013 at 8:49 am said:

I too, am going through this very thing right this minute. I was about 5 weeks along. I knew something was not right as well so we didn’t tell anyone. Thank you so much for posting this today….I feel a bit less alone.
    I am sorry for your loss and may He give your body healing and your soul comfort.

10. Nicole, I’m so sorry for your loss. While I have not experienced a miscarriage, I do mourn the loss of the children I was never able to conceive, but wanted so badly. I pray that God comforts you and brings you joy.

11. I am so sorry, Nicole. I have been through this, too, and my heart still aches for the babies I lost. I will keep you in my prayers this week and ask God to anoint you with comfort and love. It looks like you have found some beautiful ways to help you through this painful time and to honor and remember your precious little one. I have a special Christmas ornament to honor my first miscarried child, and I think I need to find ones for my others, too. Now nine years after the miscarriage, when I put it on the tree, it brings a tear to my eye, but also a smile. I know my babies are with Jesus, and what a wonderful place that is!

• Nicole on August 28, 2013 at 3:30 pm said:

Thank you so much Nadia, that is such a wonderful idea! I too find comfort in knowing that my babies are with Jesus. 🙂

12. Rebecca on August 28, 2013 at 10:49 pm said:

Thank you for being so open with your loss. I lost a little girl one year ago last sunday, she was delivered at 20 weeks. Since then I have started a non profit organization called Angel Blankets to be sure my local hospitals have special blankets for angel moms to take home with them after delivery and I also send out special request blankets to individuals in memory of their baby. I truly hate the hush hush factor surrounding the baby loss community. I love to talk about my angel!

• Nicole on August 29, 2013 at 7:32 am said:

Rebecca, I’m so sorry for your loss! I couldn’t even imagine. Your organization sounds wonderful. 🙂

13. Dear Nicole,

I am so very sorry for your loss. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I know that your baby is happy in Heaven with Him.

Love and Blessings to you and your family

Lilla

• I just realized that I wrote Lilla for some strange reason. Probably because I was looking at Lilla Rose hair pins before reading this unfortunate news. Sorry!

• Nicole on August 29, 2013 at 11:12 am said:

Thank you so much Jenny!

14. Im so sorry to hear of your loss! 🙁 you are in my prayers. I don’t quite know what it is like, my only pregnancy loss was a vanishing twin who i didnt know was there until after he was gone, and I still had 1 healthy baby. I have however lost my 26 month old disabled son. If not for my Lord Jesus, I would not have gotten through losing him. I still at times am overcome with grief, but clinging to the Lord is the only thing that has ever made me feel better. God bless you!

• Nicole on August 30, 2013 at 12:48 pm said:

Thank you so much Christy! I couldn’t even imagine going through your loss. May The Lord bless you and keep you.

15. Nicole,
    I am so sorry for the loss you have suffered. Praying that the Lord will comfort you.
    Melanie

16. Dear Nicole,

I’m so sorry for your loss. I know that He will always be on your side, no matter what happens.

Love