Are You Ready to Suit Up? Where to Purchase Modest Swimwear

caabreadytosuitup1

This is part 4 of our swimsuit series!

You can read part 1 here.

You can read part 2 here.

You can read part 3 here.

So, you want to purchase a modest swimsuit.  Where do you turn next?  Being modest while swimming is something that can be done, but sometimes it comes with a higher price tag.  For me and my family, it is worth it!

This is an example of what my family does…I purchased my 1-year-old a couple of suits at Crazy 8 when they were $10.00!  They include “normal” swim bottoms and a swim top with sleeves.  I purchased the same style suits for my 8-year-old daughter from Crazy 8 as well, but I plan on adding swim shorts found at Walmart to her suit.  I purchased my 12-year-old daughter a high-cut Speedo suit from Academy Sports along with a swim skirt.  She might wear spandex-type leggings that reach her knees as well.  (Also found at Academy Sports…these are essentially the same as the “swim leggings” found online, but at a fraction of the cost.)  My 14-year-old daughter is wearing a tankini top with a swim skirt.

caabss7

I purchased this swimsuit for my 8-year-old this year at Crazy 8.  We are going to add solid color swim shorts as well.

I’m wearing a long maternity bathing suit top (found at Target for $20 2 years ago) or a sleeveless spandex-type tennis shirt (found at Academy Sports this week for $12.99), along with a black sports bra (found in a Walmart 3 pack for $12), black spandex-type leggings (found at Academy Sports for $12.99), and a short black swim skirt (found at Kohl’s last year for around $20).  I am trying to go for the look directly below, which I found on etsy.com.  However, I couldn’t afford the price of $120!  I’m happy that I found substitutes for much cheaper prices.  I’ve worn leggings while swimming for two years now, and they are super comfortable!

caabswim

What is the simplest way to get more coverage out of a bathing suit?

Probably the easiest and cheapest way would be to add swim shorts or a swim skirt to a one-piece with a high cut neckline.  Some ladies desire even more coverage however.

Where can I purchase swimwear with more coverage?

The following are some online resources that might be helpful in your search:

caabss5

Suit from Hydrochic.com

caabss6

Suit from Meant to be Modest

For little girls, I also found some adorable swimwear at CWD Kids.  This suit is precious!

caabss8

Swimwear found at CWD Kids.  This would be awesome for children who burn easily!

I hope that these resources have been helpful.  Best wishes if you decide to look for a modest swimsuit!

If you are familiar with any other retailers that sell modest swimwear, please share their link in the comments!

Possibly linking to:

Growing Home, Tending the Home Tuesdays, Raising HomemakersBabies and BeyondWhat Joy Is MineA Wise Woman Builds Her Home ,Walking Redeemed, A Proverbs 31 WifeThe Modest MomA Mama’s StoryMom’s the Word , Mommy MomentsHearts For Home,  Time Warp Wife, Graced Simplicity, Christian Mommy BloggerFaith Filled Fridays, Marriage, Motherhood, and Missions,Wholehearted Home,Serving Joyfully, The Art of Homemaking Mondays,Cornerstone Confessions,  Good Tips Tuesday,  Paradise Praises

NICOLE CRONE enjoys writing encouragement for moms in which God is glorified at her blog, Children are a Blessing. She is wife to Rusty, and mom to eight sweet children. Nicole has been a homeschool mom for thirteen years, and is currently a member of The Old Schoolhouse Review Crew. When Nicole isn’t homeschooling, you can find her writing, reading, sewing, or blogging at www.childrenareablessing.org. She is active on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

About Nicole

24 Thoughts on “Are You Ready to Suit Up? Where to Purchase Modest Swimwear

1. What about boys? Ive often wondered what the bible says about how boys/men should dress.

• Nicole on June 1, 2014 at 8:47 pm said:

Hi Stacy! While the Bible puts a special emphasis on modesty in women, in our family my husband and sons all wear swim shirts and shorts. These items cover the same amount of skin as their regular shorts and shirts. We figure that getting wet in public is not an excuse to wear less clothing. And they are more protected from the sun. 🙂

• I agree! Swimming isn’t an excuse to expose more than usual. For my little son, I buy swim shirts and shorts a couple sizes big so that the sleeves and legs are a little longer (since our family’s standard is covering everything down to the knees and elbows) Sun protection is a great side benefit of covering up.

2. Abby Drayton on June 2, 2014 at 10:10 am said:
  3. I love the availablity of modest swim suits in comparison to about 10 years ago, the modest options were not around! I got custom made swim suits by Creations by Savannah on etsy, she did awesome! Look alike swim suits for me and my 3 girls, we got lots of compliments! Here is a link to her shop:

4. You gave some good ideas. My daughter does the rash guard with board shorts (and regular suit under) but as she gets older, I am probably going to make a switch to a longer swim skirt. Thanks for sharing the modesty message on the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

5. I’m a tankini girl myself, and definitely choose the bottoms with the skirt. (Swimwear with the skirt options have come a long way. I’m glad they no longer make you look like an 80 year old woman when you’re in your 30’s.)

6. Thanks for the ideas! it is really hard to find modest swim wear and these are so cute! Thanks a bunch! <3

7. Jefra roberts on June 7, 2014 at 1:00 am said:

We always wear full scuba gear. Yes, we get stared at. Yes, it’s uncomfortable. But it’s the least we can do to give glory to our Creator and honor Him. Praise be to Jesus!

8. Alison on June 7, 2014 at 3:43 pm said:

Are you sure the first picture ( black tank, black skirt with blue stripe) is from hydrochic? I went to their site and couldn’t find it…

9. Oh my goodness, I love that suit from CWD Kids – I want it for myself!

10. Kristina on June 11, 2014 at 1:06 pm said:

We found an adorable and modest suit for my 2 yr old daughter at Costco. It is a full shirt with elbow length sleeves and bottoms with a modest length skirt attached. I think it was about $15. We were surprised but pleased to find it.

11. Kathryn on June 11, 2014 at 1:20 pm said:

Dressingforhisglory.com has awesome swim skirts and leggings all in one.

12. Nikole on June 11, 2014 at 2:08 pm said:

We have found modest swimwear at Lands End. They are a little more pricey but we usually can wait for a 40% off coupon and they are great quality!! They have plus sizes for girls as well.

13. Jessie on June 11, 2014 at 9:03 pm said:

Hi there! I love this post, and I just wanted to add that modest swimwear can sometimes also be found at places like Dick’s Sporting Goods. My sister and I are 16, and this year for vacation, we decided to wear tankinis, but with a pair of board shorts and a rash guard over top (basically quick-drying shorts and a t-shirt). We were so happy with our choices! These items were slightly more expensive than “normal” swimwear, but feeling comfortable and modest was totally worth it. If anyone is interested, here are the links!

14. Aubrey on June 12, 2014 at 11:37 am said:

Yeah what about boys/men???

• Nicole on June 12, 2014 at 5:19 pm said:

Women are specifically instructed to dress modestly in the Bible. Men are instructed to be honorable and respectful, and this can apply to their dress as well.

15. We struggle with this every year when our girls grow and need new swimsuits.
    when we cant find modest swimwear we swim in rash shirts and good old shorts (which are hard to find in modest lengths sometimes). This year we finally stumbled on Land End skirts. The longer length ones are good but will still show more leg than leggins do. And their tops are not always very modest (cleavage issues) but as their stuff is sold as separates you can mix and match with other brands or layer.