Large Families are More Godly than Small Families (and Other Nonsense)

I’m fairly new to blogging.  I really never had much of a desire to blog, but I felt the Lord gently prompting me in this direction recently.  I’ve always loved reading blogs written by mothers of large families.  They are so encouraging to me, since my husband and I have a semi-large family (six children) at the moment.

Crone_365 (800 x 533) Photo by MMC Photography

During the past month, I’ve noticed something.  There are an abundance of Christian bloggers who either have a large family, or a large family mindset.   In amongst these websites, I sometimes stumble onto “Christian” pages where parents of large families are pretty much ridiculed.  These bloggers feel “judged” by these large families.  They bemoan the fact that large families “think they are more godly than smaller families,” and “they collect children to show off their godliness.”

What?

Large families are by no means more godly than small families.  In any way, shape, or form.  Scripturally, we see Sarah, who had one child.  Elizabeth had one child.  These women were amazing, strong, women of God.  Their faith in our Lord is spoken of to this day.

My plan is not to collect children.  I do however wish to follow scripture wholeheartedly.  Sola scriptura is a foundational doctrinal position of the Protestant Reformation that I hold to.  It simply means “by scripture alone.”  My life will be guided by scripture alone.  If the Word of God says that children are a blessing, I believe it and will trust God with that area of my life.

Many parents who allow the Lord to plan their families end up with only a few children.  Some are not meant to give birth biologically.  Many godly families find themselves in this position.  This does not mean that they are any less godly than the mother who gives birth almost once a year.  Our Creator has different plans for each of us.  Everything in heaven and earth is His!  My husband and I have decided to let God make the choice regarding our family size instead of taking the matter into our own, unknowledgeable hands.

Yours, O Lord, is the greatness,
The power and the glory,
The victory and the majesty;
For all that is in heaven and in earth is Yours;
Yours is the kingdom, O Lord,
And You are exalted as head over all.

1 Chronicles 29:11

It is such a blessing to connect with like minded families on the internet.  Unfortunately, there aren’t many families who feel the same convictions as we do in our physical area.  To those of you who perceive judgment, please realize that is not my purpose.  My purpose is to encourage other families who are walking the same path.  Large families are not a dime a dozen, and sometimes the only godly encouragement we see is from the computer screen staring back at us.

Therefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also you do.

1 Thessalonians 5:11

The judgment that you might feel while online is what I perceive  every. single. day. when out in public with my family.   No matter what your family size looks like, if you are wholeheartedly following the Lord, then He is being glorified through you!

Be blessed!

~Nicole

Would you like information concerning birth control?  Click here!

37 Thoughts on “Large Families are More Godly than Small Families (and Other Nonsense)

1. Sarah on July 2, 2013 at 5:02 pm said:

Thank you for this. Truly.

I am a mom of two little ones and would absolutely love to have more. It took a really long time to get pregnant with our first (we had been married almost 4 years when he was born), and we had some very hurtful things said to us by people who thought that we were trying to not be pregnant when we desperately wanted to be! We know now that I have big health issues that make it hard to get pregnant and to maintain a pregnancy, so we know we are soooo blessed to have the two precious children that we have! Sometimes I feel like telling people, “I know we only have two, but we really, really want more!” but that seems awkward.

I recently found your blog and can tell you that I have not read something that you have written that has made me feel judged, but I can say that I have on other sites. When a family with “only two children” is given as an example of a family that views children as a burden and who selfishly doesn’t want any more, it pierces my heart and literally brings me to tears. Thank you for acknowledging that there are truly people who are pursuing the Lord who are not able to have large families.

2. kimberly on July 2, 2013 at 7:12 pm said:

wow, wonderfully written. I am loving your blog. I only have 5 children, but am definitely a large family compared to others in my area. children are not seen as a blessing often enough. I love hearing gods word through wonderful Christian blogs such as yours. thank you.

3. I wrote about this a few week ago, some women make such a big noise about the number of children they have turning it into something boastful and very ungodly as far as I’m concerned. Yes, its like they are collecting children. There are many reasons why couples have the number of children they have (or no children) and its no one else’s business, it personal and between the couple and God. No woman should feel pressured, guilty or upset by the number they have and women with many children should be more sensitive.

I am perfectly content with my two beautiful sons who are now adults.

Well said.

4. It’s not about comparing numbers, but when you’re out with a lot, you can feel judged. I always had a stock of positive or funny answers ready for anyone who said anything critical, and I tried to give a positive impression when we were out-clean, well-behaved, etc.

5. ” In amongst these websites, I sometimes stumble onto “Christian” pages where parents of large families are pretty much ridiculed.” I think you meant parents of “small” families.

There are two boys in my family and I had always dreamed of more, but I know I will be doing my part to ensure these boys love the Lord and glorify Him!!

6. Judgment is so ugly, and sadly goes both ways. I have watched women talk about the hurtful things people say about their larger families while, in turn, taking dives at the people who said it “only” having however many kids they had. Or, they will talk about it on their blog, the mean things or rude comments people make about their larger family while dogging on those of us with “only” 1, 2, or 3. I am not sure they even realize the hypocrisy others see. We all need to worry less about the small things in life, like family size. The reason I call it small is because none of us controls how many children we have in all reality. Yes, we can do things to attempt to have more children, but God doesn’t have to put a life there. Yes, we can do things to attempt to stop having children, but God doesn’t have to not put a life there. Amazingly there is only one full proof way to not have children (abstinence), so we don’t have the control we think we do. To be prideful of family size (no matter if that size is small or large) is a sin of the heart and amusing since you are taking credit for that which you have no control.

My husband and I won’t have any more children unless God clearly designs to go against the stupid choice we made 5 years ago by trying to control our own fertility. Even that act of control is not 100% by the world’s eyes, and it’s 0% in God’s hands. But it’s not something I am prideful about, having 2 children. And it’s not something to be judged as someone seeing me as a stranger has no clue why we “only” have two. And, even if I share our why, it’s still not to be judged as we have taken care of what we did with God and that’s all that’s required.

As women we need to love each other more and show each other God’s love and mercy more. Yes, we are told hold each other accountable. But beating someone over the head about a subject that is over and done with isn’t doing that. I don’t care if my neighbor has 20 kids and I don’t care if they are childless. I want to show them who God is and let them figure it all out with Him.

“You” in this statement is not meant towards you, Nicole. You haven’t made others feel that way in this blog from all I have read. It’s a general you.

7. I loved this post! I have always been interested in large families as well-their bonds, encouragement, and real life moments. It is only recently that I have felt such a pull on my heart about this. My husband and I made a decision, and I knew in my heart that it was wrong, to use a permanent form of birth control. We listened to some doctors and skeptics and, to be quite honest, I myself was frightened. I now deeply grieve that decision and pray about it so often. May God bless you for following His Word and for encouraging others!

8. I agree wholeheartedly! I have 8 children. I think most of the judgement comes from smaller families. I feel that judgment with all the stare and sometimes remarks that people make. Perhaps they feel convicted in some way and think that we’re looking down on them. I have yet to come across a large family or a blogger who has a large family that has been judgmental.

9. I think we are prone to become legalistic and judgmental about things in our faith. It certainly has been the case with me and God has to continually remind me of this. We all tend toward being pharisees, I think. : }

I’m a grandma with two grown children and 7 grandchildren. My husband and I tried for many years to have more children, but God did not give them. I know there are times when I’ve felt judged by women with large families, but I’ve also seen women with large families judged for having “too many children.”

It’s the same with homeschooling. I homeschooled and sometimes judged families that sent their children to public school. And I felt a lot of negative judgement for my choice to homeschool as well.

We are good at judging and poor at giving grace. If only we could enjoy our choices and preferences without becoming exclusive or feeling superior.

Thanks for a gracious post. May we all learn from it.

• Gail, you’re so on point here. My comment sounds like I’m judging those who judge me! LOL! We need to remember to take the plank out of our own eye, before removing the speck from our brother’s eye. Thanks Nicole for such a thought provoking post!

• Dear Jillian,
        I wasn’t responding to anything you said…I hope it didn’t sound like that. I actually think you posted your comment while I was writing mine, so I don’t think I actually read yours until after posting mine.

And I often say and do things that are judgmental…I was speaking about my own tendencies as much as anyone’s.

10. Thank you for pointing out that every family has reasons for being whatever size it is. I’d also add, for growing at whatever rate it grows. Like a previous commenter, it took us 4 years to get pregnant with our daughter, who is now 14 months old, and that on top of 2 very early miscarriages. We are hoping to get pregnant again in the coming year, but we have no way of knowing if my fertility issues will reoccur or not, and we’re already getting comments like “You need to give that girl a sibling, she’s lonely”. They hurt, and are short sighted and intrusive. We want to have more than one baby, but it’s up to God, not us. And we are just thankful that He saw fit to bless our daughter with 3 cousins and 10+ little friends all within a few months or short years of her age, both ways, in our immediate area.

11. Deanna on July 8, 2013 at 10:29 am said:

I clicked on your blog jumping over from Modest Mom. I’m so glad that you pointed out that Sarah and Elizabeth each only had one child. We have one son. Pregnancy was so hard…I still have nightmares about the birth of him…I’m scared to ever have another one…I feel like a Christian failure that my fear keeps me from having another child. I wonder if I’m not fulfilling God’s design for our family by not having another child. Then you highlight women of the Bible who only had one child and that helps. Thank you.

• Nicole on July 8, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

Hi Deanna! 2 Timothy 1:7 says “For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” Remember that fear doesn’t come from our Lord. We shouldn’t allow fear to get in the way of God’s plans for our lives. Sarah and Elizabeth both yearned for children, and it was God’s distinct plan for them to bear only one. Blessings to you!

12. A very good post! I myself have 7 children (and one in Heaven!) but I never felt that it made me any more godly than anyone else. I’m not in a baby contest. Having a large family merely makes me BUSY – not godly!

That would be like me saying that, because I run and eat right, I am more godly than someone who isn’t. It simply makes no sense when we add in the grace of God. His grace is given comepletely without merit of my own!

13. This was an encouraging post. The faulty logic and conclusions that people come to based upon others’ life choices sometimes astounds me. I read a lot of blogs who have larger families than I do. I find them to be very encouraging and insightful.

My husband and I have three children who are older, and I would have loved to have at least seven, but health issues deemed us only to have three. I have a lot of admiration and love for large families, but I have only come across a couple of blogs that have had a “godlier than you” attitude and tone.

I am coming from Nan’s link-up party, and it is nice to “meet” you for the first time!

Have a blessed week!

14. Lindsey on July 8, 2013 at 12:56 pm said:

I was really excited when I started reading this because finally I am not the only one who noticed that all online blogs are mothers with large families! Sadly, you kind of came off the same way as them. You state that you let God choice your family size, which is wonderful however if God gives us a choice in who we can marry then I also feel he gives us a choice in how many kids we can have.

Just because someone CAN get pregnant does not mean it is always in their best interest – or that of their family. I am not saying they choosing not to have children for selfish reason but what about physical reasons? If a person does not want to risk their life for another pregnancy so they can still be there for the few blessings God gave them is not selfish. Maybe I am being blind and if so please help!! But I have had two heart surgeries and each pregnancy I have had (going on second) has to be approved by many doctors before we get the go – ahead. So, am I less Godly because I am not letting God bless me with many kids (which I would LOVE!!!!) or am I less Godly because I am not ‘trusting’ him with my healt/heart?

I think God gave me a great team of doctors and we will take each pregnancy one at a time – not risking my life but using the brain He gave me to guide our family size which at some point will mean we will stop having kids (even if I am still very fertile). Children are a blessing but I do not think God intended for any of us to die while having them, maybe He is calling that other mom, of just two children in another direction? To serve at church more, to Foster, to travel and show her two blessings what God can do in peoples lives?

• Nicole on July 8, 2013 at 1:22 pm said:

I do believe that we should trust The Lord completely. “Trust in The Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.” (Proverbs 3:5) It can be so hard to trust The Lord with EVERYTHING. Believe me, I know! This seems so foolish to the world. Please understand that my convictions are taken from God’s Word. If anything I say isn’t Biblical, please don’t put any stock in my words at all.

and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.
      Ecclesiastes 12:7

Thus says God, the LORD, who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and what comes from it, who gives breath to the people on it and spirit to those who walk in it:
      Isaiah 42:5

The oracle of the word of the LORD concerning Israel: Thus declares the LORD, who streatched out the heavens and founded the earth and formed the spirit of man within him:
      Zechariah 12:1

Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live?
      Hebrews 12:9

He has a plan for each of us…and has a plan for each baby He sends. He creates each soul. I’m sorry, but I don’t believe He ever intended to leave the choice of having children up to us. It doesn’t make sense that God would say, “I’ll be the One doing all the creating here, but you just let me know when the time is right for you.” That would take away from God’s sovereignty and His plans for us.

How is it judgmental to share God’s word? If you take my words as being judgmental, please forgive me.

May The Lord richly bless you!

• Lindsey on July 8, 2013 at 2:42 pm said:

Thank you – the verses are helpful! I did not think you sharing God’s word was judgemental but I do not agree that by God stating children are a blessing He is saying telling every married women to have them every two years (for you or other moms He may!). I felt judged because I do not have and can’t have them every two years.

I do not agree that God would give us Doctors, antibotics, ect… if he did not want us to use them. An 11 year old girl died in my state because her parents refused doctors advice to treat her diabetes – they prayed to God. I agree that we should pray in all situations (good or bad!) but if we start saying it is God’s Will for someone or yourself to die because you refuse medical advice is silly. I do understand that Jesus healed when the Doctors couldn’t in Mark 5:25-30. I agree that we should turn to God during these times (James 4:2; 5:13) but God created us to be smart – He gave us antibiotics, pig valve replacements and we should use them. I do not think we should depend on Doctors more or even equal to God and I do not think a women is doing that when she chooses to stop having children.

A friend of mine had HELLP syndrome with all three of her pregnancies – the last one was so bad she had a stroke, spent 2 weeks in ICU and 3 months going to physical theapy. Doctors adviced her not to have any more child and she is agreeing. I would too! I trust that God put a great medical team (yes, multiple doctors) to guide me through this pregnancy and hopefully a long healthy life. Every night I pray God will give my heart the strength it needs to handle these last couple months – I know He will, if that is His Will. I will continue to (Psalms 37:4) lean on the Lord when making choices about what is best for our family.

I guess from your posting I got the feeling, like with many other moms of many wonderful blessings, that a mom of just one or two is not truely Blessed. The Bible says children are a blessing, NOT an inconvenience – I totally agree!! Who would not want a dozen little cutties running around?!! The Bible does not say every married couple or fertial women must have children (it talks about our attitude toward children, and I agree we all should have it! Psalm 127:3-5). We are saved by grace through faith in Jesus – not by how many children we have or who risked their life the most for God.

I am not trying to argue or fight, some peole just dont see eye to eye, even when it comes exactly from the same book. I will not respond any more, not out of anger but out of love because I dont want anyone to feel I am trying to fight your origional posting. Have a wonderful week – God bless!

• Nicole on July 8, 2013 at 3:44 pm said:

One final thought…

So many Christians seem to be afraid of death, but the Bible says that heaven is far better than this earth. We act as if we do not believe these scriptures.

Since you were raised from the dead with Christ, aim at what is in heaven, where Christ is sitting at the right hand of God. Think only about the things in heaven, not the things on earth.

Colossians 1:2

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Philippians 1:21-23

Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

2 Corinthians 5:8

Do we really believe this? If we do, why do we spend so much time trying to remain on this earth?

Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil to come.

Isaiah 57:1

This verse actually says that God takes the lives of godly men at times to protect them from the evil in this world!

So…if we pass on to heaven for whatever reason, we would be better off. That is quite a thought. What about our children? I know that God loves them more than I can ever think to love them. That is amazing to me. Wouldn’t He know what is best for them more than I? Even if that meant I wasn’t on this earth with them? (Which is heart wrenching to me to even think about.) Death is actually ultimate healing for a Christian.

About 176,000 Christians are martyred each year. (http://www.wnd.com/2010/04/143493/) Does God want to provide antibiotics for us to prolong our earthly lives in the comfortable US while almost 200,000 Christians are killed for their faith each year around the world?? This just doesn’t make sense to me.

We can most definitely agree to disagree. I’m definitely not saying to forgo doctor’s advice. I do believe that scripture says we should seek God’s wisdom which is found in our bibles over any humanly advice. :-)

• Kathryn on July 8, 2013 at 6:10 pm said:

Hi Nicole, I found this post from ‘A Wise Woman Builds Her Home’. You have such a lovely blog and I can’t wait to read your ‘Modesty Transformation’ series! I loved all the Scriptures you quoted above, it is always so good to be grounded in God’s word. There was one thing you said that I am a bit confused about:

“Does God want to provide antibiotics for us to prolong our earthly lives in the comfortable US while almost 200,000 Christians are killed for their faith each year around the world?? This just doesn’t make sense to me.”

I guess I just don’t see the connection between these two things. It sounds (and perhaps I am misreading it) as though the statement says: Because bad things happen to other people we shouldn’t take medicine that we have available to us and that we know to cures diseases. Am I reading this wrong? Am I missing something? Thanks!

Kathryn

• Nicole on July 8, 2013 at 6:22 pm said:

Hey Kathryn! I was just trying to say that I don’t believe that antibiotics are from God. (In response to a comment implying that they were.) If they were, why did The Lord see fit to allow their invention in only the last century? Antibiotics have caused a lot of bacteria to mutate and strengthen as well. That being said, I’m in no means saying to not take antibiotics. My family takes them if prescribed as a last resort when ill. I just meant that as a society we make blanket statements such as “medicinal advances are all from God” when I don’t see that in scripture. I’m in no means saying that since bad things happen to some people you shouldn’t take medicine.

• Anna on July 27, 2013 at 1:13 pm said:

The Bible also says (in a context of intentionally endangering your life while putting faith in God to prevent a bad outcome) “Thou shalt not put the Lord thy God to the test.” Matthew 4:7 This was when Jesus was tempted by the Evil One in the Wilderness.

I certainly wouldn’t criticize Lindsay’s decision.

• Nicole on July 27, 2013 at 1:33 pm said:

The point is, we shouldn’t be putting our faith in God to “prevent a bad outcome,” as you say, but we should put our faith in God no matter what the outcome might be. We are not called to be comfortable. That is one of the biggest misconceptions of the Christian faith today. When we allow God to guide our reproductive life (which is His, by the way) without our own thoughts and desires getting in the way, we are not “putting God to the test.” We are giving Him complete control of our lives which is His desire.

For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. Matthew 16:25

Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it. Matthew 10:39

15. Theo-Ann Johnson on July 8, 2013 at 3:39 pm said:

Hey there! This was such an encouraging post. As a mom of 3 foster and adopted daughters (and 3 babies in heaven), it was nice to read that it is God’s plan on how many children we have, even when we’re wanting more. I have had discouragement with people’s well-meaning comments regarding not having biological kids. I keep praying that God can use my story for His glory, no matter the hurt I’ve endured physically and emotionally in wanting bio children. I’ve been learning to be content in his plan in the hardships I’ve had in losing babies. However, I can see God’s plan in bringing our three girls to us; they are special and I love them dearly, even though I didn’t give birth to them. If God would have allowed me to bear my own, perhaps these sweet young ladies wouldn’t have been a part of our family. And you’re right–having a large family doesn’t mean you’re more godly. We all have things that the Lord is continually working on no matter how many kids we have! (patience is a big one:)

16. Jessica on July 8, 2013 at 4:29 pm said:

I have two toddlers and am almost 30 weeks pregnant with number # 3. I really think that people should just worry about their own family size and go on and live for Jesus. We are trusting God with our family size. And I pray he gives us a few more blessings. It bothers me when strangers come up to you and ask you if you are done having kids because you have three. It’s really no ones business. It seems like you get judged if you have a big family. I am all for a big family, but I am against people having kids just to have kids and they neglect their kids because they have so many and fail to love each one and give them the care they need. It’s not a competition, we should be happy with what God gives us but also make sure we are training them and loving them like we should. If God gives you a big family or even just a few kids please love them and take time with them. It just bothers me if you have a big family and complain about it and won’t see the blessing in front of you. It just saddens me when people keep having kids and don’t take care of them and can’t provide for them. Having said all that, I think it’s important to have God’s will done in your family regarding family size and everything else. Don’t compare your family to someone else just seek to do what God would have for your family, whether big or small. And that’s what matters.

17. Kathryn on July 8, 2013 at 6:27 pm said:

Nicole, thank you so much for your quick reply! I knew I must have been reading it incorrectly. I completely agree. We all too often do make blanket statements that are very dangerous. I look forward to reading more posts that you have written. Have a wonderful day!

Kathryn

18. I had to read your article after seeing a link to it on one of my friend’s sites, since just the first part of the title showed up.;)
    Even though I have a big family mentality, I have noticed that some people come across (whether they mean to or not) as thinking they are holier for having a big family, or for having their first child 10 months after marriage.
    The flip side though, it that big family can be looked down on. I wish there were more people who encouraged large families, rather than making negative comments when they see a passel of kids.
    Anyway, I’m rambling. Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your blog post!

19. Anna on July 27, 2013 at 1:29 pm said:

I originally read this post many days ago. Then, as I surfed the net, I noticed how many blog titles are based around the number of children the writer has – as if that were something to take pride in (when in reality, the Bible states that pride is a sin).

My dear late Mother was infertile for 10 years – while wanting many children. She was regularly ridiculed by parents of children. In addition to inappropriate jokes, she was told, “You can volunteer for x – you have nothing else to do!” and other such unkind comments. She eventually was able to have children (through adoption, birth & fostering).

Then she was widowed. And, rather than being helped by those she knew who were still married, she was gossiped about, robbed & treated maliciously.

She would occasionally observe, “They were blessed with a lot of children – and they take pride in it rather than thanking God. They think it’s their own doing.” or

“They’re celebrating their 50th anniversary, and taking pride in that. Really, it is God who has allowed them and their spouse to live so long.”

It may be true that sometimes families with many children receive critical comments – but at least they can enjoy their children! Those who are criticized for being childless or widowed have no children or spouse to comfort them when they are ridiculed.

If you are blessed with a large family – consider – when was the last time you had a widow & her children over for dinner? When was the last time that your respected the opinion of childless woman about childrearing, rather than telling her she has no experience? (St. Paul also never raised children, but we respect his opinion)

If you receive negative comments because your family size – maybe you should consider it like being ridiculed for being rich. You have this blessing of God to enjoy – why be unkind – in words or attitude to the poor person who does not?

20. jessica on August 31, 2013 at 5:43 am said:

This is a great post , I am a happy mom to 6 and so overjoyed by that I don’t know if it is pride I experience or just an amazing feeling of being blessed with these awesome people in my life to grow along side and watch them grow in the lords ways. I don’t look down on families with less children I do feel like if children are a blessing and reward from God as said in his word why wouldn’t we want more of that . My heart is to trust God with my life and body that’s my idea of being a living sacrifice and trusting God when it can be scary to do so . I believe because as humans we lean on our own understanding too much I have been at that place before that I felt ridiculed openly by others for having more children there were times that I wanted to call it quits but God confirmed in my heart this his doing . Did I feel any less blessed when I had two little ones no because that’s what he gave me and I was crazy about them . I do feel so blessed and I think women with any number of children should feel so . Our society accepts rewards of material or money so readily but that is not a true reward or gift it is children. In the old testament God clearly says he blessed women and opened their wombs to conceive referring to the midwives that were sparing the Hebrews boys. I think that’s pretty significant . Why do so many god fearing women reject that blessing from god if you only new all that god has for you. One thing that gives me peace is knowing that if I never prevent life even if I died in being his servant or vessel in bringing yet another into the world I know I’ve received all the blessings god had for me. Women isn’t that what god has made us for and to me there is no greater honor.

21. Sister M on September 24, 2013 at 9:11 pm said:

Great post! I was intrigued by your idea of “by scripture only”. I am not Christian but this rings so true for us Muslims also. We are encouraged to search for the truth and not believe anything unless their is proof in our Scripture, the Quran, or in the authentic sayings of our Prophet Mohammad (may peace be upon him).

22. A Bloke on November 20, 2013 at 9:30 am said:

Hi,

This blog, though very helpful and God centered seems to lack any input from the opposite gender, so i thought I’d put my 2 bob in if that’s ok.

My wife wants more children, i don’t. Which is why I’m here. I love my wife dearly and am devoted to my 6 beautiful children. I want to give my wife so so very much what she wants, But I’m convinced it would be bad for our family.

We have prayed about it and studied scripture… but we are no closer to agreeing.

A couple of points i felt compelled to comment on are:
    The “Children are a blessing”, as i can best understand it means exactly what it says, it doesn’t say “many children are a blessing” or that “as many children you can manage to conceive are a blessing”. One child is a blessing as much as six. I believe Sola scriptura at the root of my faith, and that means to me especially not to read more into a verse than what it literally says

And also this notion of “We’ll let God decide” seems floored. God created all, and has complete providence over all, down to the hair on your head. God created you with a brain to acquire knowledge and the ability to make wise and discerned decisions, therefore, deciding NOT to have another child is as much Gods choice (providence) as deciding TO have more. The bible says the Lord will provide, but you don’t get to sit on your lorals and expect food to appear, God gave you the ability to think, work and act to put food on the table… God simply asks us to do these thing in what ever way we can glorify him most.

So that’s kinda the crux of where I’m at, I don’t know what would glorify God most, I’m not going to burden you with my list of pros and cons as to what brings God the most Glory, suffice is to say I’m using my God given (prayerfully considered) discernment to follow the path the Lord layed out for me the day he created the world.

I’m sorry if any of this seems argumentative, It seemed important to me to try and make these points.

To sum it up I believe one child or ten can glorify God equally depending on your circumstances

Prayerfully yours
    Mere male

23. I'm just grateful on July 27, 2014 at 1:19 pm said:

Like others, we have been ridiculed and asked by people (often in our own family) if we’re through. We now have 4 and are expecting our 5th child!. Neither of us had planned this but each child has brought us a different blessing. We are so grateful and so humbled to have such a task. May God continue to bless all of us in his own way.